The St. Louis Kaplan Feldman Holocaust Museum seeks an experienced and well-rounded individual to support the Volunteer and Visitor Services department for the expanded Museum, which opened in November of 2022.
The Visitor Services Associate is both a hands-on operational and administrative support role, reporting to the Manager of Volunteers & Visitor Services as part of the Education Department. The position is responsible for engaging with the public through ticket sales, gallery duties, educational tours, and working with the Museum team to provide a welcoming and supportive environment for all visitors and volunteers. This is a full-time position including a weekend day.
- Must work a weekend day (one Saturday per week) and some evenings as needed.
- Proactively interact with guests at many points during their visit,including their arrival, exploration, and departure experiences.
- Facilitate engagement opportunities with visitors that deepen their relationship with Museum exhibits and collections
- Stay current on all exhibitions, events, and programs at the Museum
- Assist in gallery duties and provide educational tours
- Answer visitors’ questions and concerns in a friendly and professional manner
- Follow best practices in accessibility and be familiar with and utilize the Museum’s accessible features to ensure that visitors of all backgrounds and abilities can enjoy our facilities and exhibits
- Assist inter-departmental staff in facilitating our signature events and programs by helping with traffic flow, activities, communicating with other staff to ensure safety of visitors, and proper use of facilities, and other duties as assigned
- Use online platforms for a variety of duties including selling and renewing memberships; selling admission to ticketed programs; registering visitors for events and e-Newsletters
- Invite guests to visit the onsite features including the Museum shop
- Ensure that institutional information displayed on the floor is current
- Assist security and collections staff in keeping artifacts safe by helping visitors understand our gallery guidelines
- Facilitate opening and closing procedures to ensure the safety of Museum spaces, artifacts, and visitors in partnership with security
- Help in developing new engagement opportunities for visitors
- Attend monthly staff meetings and training sessions as assigned
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, hospitality & tourism, business administration, education, history, or related field (preferred)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in hospitality, operational, customer service, visitor services, or guest relations role (or equivalent) at a museum, venue, cultural site, or similar setting.
- Valid driver’s license or reliable transportation required.
Job Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be outgoing, with exceptional customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse public and workforce.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a highly energized, creative team.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective relationships with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to assisting with volunteer needs/engagement
- A self-starter, with the ability to prioritize continually shifting tasks; reliable and able to follow tasks through to completion and meet tight deadlines.
- Excellent verbal communication, with a proven ability to communicate effectively in front of large and small groups of people.
- Ability to perform physical tasks (lift 30 lbs.) with physical mobility and ability to climb stairs.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency, including an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Suite, POS system and scheduling databases.
- Ability to work weekends regularly, holidays, and evenings as necessary.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
Compensation, including benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications & experience. The salary range for this position is commensurate with experience.
Please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Visitor Engagement Associate”
- Cover letter
- Three (3) professional references, who will not be contacted without the approval of the candidate. All inquiries and materials will be confidential. Applications will be acknowledged.